WHAT IS DENTAL PAIN?
Dental pain or toothache is defined as an uncomfortable sensation related to the teeth or surrounding structures.
COMMON CAUSES OF DENTAL PAIN?
The common causes of toothache include –
· Dental cavities, dental abscess, gum disease, sensitive tooth root (dentine hypersensitivity), cracked tooth, impacted teeth and eruption of teeth.
· Dental pain can also arise from non-dental origin such as angina or heart attack, sinusitis, psychological disorders and tumours.
PROGRESSION OF DENTAL PAIN?
Dental pain can be –
1. Acute dental pain (happening suddenly)
2. Chronic dental pain (happening over a long duration of time)
The treatment of the dental pain depends on the nature, onset and the factors causing the pain.
SYMTOMS OF DENTAL PAIN?
General dental pain symptoms include –
1. Pain on drinking hot or cold beverages
2. Pain on eating sweet snacks
3. Pain on biting or during chewing food
4. Generally sensitive teeth
5. Severe pain that wakes you up while you are sleeping
6. Severe continuous pain, without doing anything
DIAGNOSIS OF DENTAL PAIN?
To identify what has caused the dental pain, the dentist may use one or more of the following tests –
1. Test for sensitive teeth
2. Looking for cavities in your mouth
3. Tapping on the teeth
4. Check if the teeth are mobile
5. Taking X-ray
6. Checking the structures around the teeth
PROGNOSIS OF DENTAL PAIN?
· Treatment is dependent on the type and nature of pain.
· Treatment of the pain may include Root canal treatment, removal of the tooth, simple fluoride application.
TREATMENT OF DENTAL PAIN?
When the dentist has identified what is the causes of dental pain, they will be able to treat your teeth efficiently, which may include simple fillings (restoration), root canal treatment, fluoride varnish application etc.